Dental Crowns in Belpre, OH
When to use an extra-strong zirconia crown?
At Belpre Dental Studio, Dr. Stephen A. Huffman typically recommends a zirconia crown when ultimate strength is needed. Zirconia crowns are perfect for teeth that need high durability without compromised esthetics. Zirconia crowns are white, like porcelain, plus they have strength comparable to that of an all-metal crown. Zirconia crowns are crafted by a professional lab technician and you will never see a “gray band” around the gum line. The zirconia is intricately created to mimic the tooth’s natural color and character.
Typically, porcelain crowns are used in the front part of the mouth, and zirconia crowns are used on the back teeth. Dr. Huffman will help you make the best selection for you at your appointment.
Advantages of Zirconia Crowns:
- Strength and durability – Zirconia crowns hold up well even under heavy crushing force (common for back teeth).
- Color matching– Zirconia looks much more natural than metal crowns. Our crowns are shade-matched to seamlessly blend in with natural teeth.
- No metal base– Unlike crowns that contain a metal base, our zirconia crowns never show a “gray band” around the gum line.
- Biocompatibility and conservation of tooth structure– Zirconia crowns are friendly to the gum tissue and do not cause irritation. Additionally, due to the strength of zirconia, a less natural tooth is removed or “cut down” in the restoration process.
- Custom-fit– Highly skilled technicians design each crown to Dr. Huffman’s specifications to ensure that a perfect fit is achieved.