Root Canal Treatment
Root Canals in Belpre, OH
Root canals are a common procedure, used to remove infections, stop pain, and save teeth. At Belpre Dental Studio, a root canal is a comfortable, in-house procedure. Restoration after treatment strengthens your tooth, restores health, and mimics the appearance of your natural teeth.
Why might a tooth need a root canal?
When a tooth becomes decayed, the bacteria can spread into the center of the tooth, called the dental pulp or pulp chamber. The sensitive nerve of the tooth is in the pulp and the pulpal canals. Therefore, when the central area of the tooth becomes infected, it can be incredibly painful, requiring immediate attention and treatment.
What to Expect
Check out the process for root canal treatment and the return to optimal oral health at Belpre Dental Studio.
STEP ONE | RELAX
- Patient Relaxation – Free Conscious Sedation is available if you are anxious about your dental care
- Questions and discussion of procedure
- Total Numbing of tooth and surrounding area (local anesthetic)
STEP TWO | ENDODONTIC THERAPY
- Minimal access hole is created for removal of infection
- Infection Removal, removal of dental pulp from top to bottom
- Disinfection/cleaning of nerve area
- Gutta percha (medicated filling material) placement to seal & stabilize the tooth
STEP THREE | RESTORATION
- Placement of crown or filling to further strengthen and protect your tooth
STEP FOUR | AFTERCARE
- Carefully follow instructions given to you at end of appointment
- Follow-up digital X-rays
I’ve heard that root canals are painful. Are they?
We work hard to make our patients comfortable during their root canal procedure by using conscious sedation dentistry, strong topical anesthetic, adequate (total) numbing, and, when needed, oral medications. In many cases, we use a combination of all of these.
We have the training and expertise, cutting-edge technology, latest techniques, and amenities to eliminate discomfort and anxiety during your treatment. Many of our root canal patients liken the experience to getting a filling or crown. It is quite common for us to hear “that was much easier than what I expected” afterward.
Advantages of Root Canal Treatment
- Saves the natural tooth
- Removal of infection, which can impact systemic health
- Prevents tooth extraction and replacement
- Eliminates pain and discomfort
- Preserves tooth functionality
- Avoids more complex treatments in the future, like implants and dentures
- Preserves jaw bone mass